Sunday, March 7, 2010

Ghanaian Supports and Wants Manny Pacquiao to Win


Last week, as I was about to leave our office’s cafeteria at lunchtime, Dr. Kofi Bimpong of Ghana, Africa called my attention to his table.  He wanted to ask me something.  He asked me that if I knew that I looked like Manny Pacquiao.  I laughed heartily and said that he looked liked Joshua Clottey.  After sharing some more laughter I asked him directly who he supports.  His reply was “Oh Manny Pacquiao 100%”.   Puzzled by his answer I pressed some more.

Kofi said that Ghana is a small country (23 M population), at least compared to the Philippines, and that the Clotteys are quite known.  He mentioned that he had 2 other brothers – “Tenda” and “Ike”.  In fact he said that Ike, also a boxer will be fighting in the undercard.  This last bit of information I forgot to ask where he got it and I cannot verify.  I checked Boxrec and found a Thunder Clottey and an Ishmael Clottey – both from Ghana.  I don’t know if he was referring to these 2 boxers.

Moving on, I asked Kofi why he wasn’t supporting his countryman like most Filipinos will support Pacquiao.  His answer surprised me.

“Joshua Clottey is arrogant and disrespectful.  In fact people that I know from Ghana want him to lose.  Manny Pacquiao is humble and that’s why he is respected”. 

I asked him if he was sure about Clottey.  Kofi repeated that indeed in general Ghanaian’s don’t like Joshua Clottey.  He also told me that 90% of Ghanaians want Manny Pacquiao to win.  He offered to give me some links that will support his statements.    

Now interviewing one person from Ghana may not reflect who an entire country supports but it is a reflection of where Manny Pacquiao’s reputation stands as a global icon in the sport of boxing and that his on and off the ring demeanor has earned him fans from many countries.

With regards to Joshua Clottey’s reputation off the ring, not much has been written whereas Pacquiao’s every move seems to be documented. On the ring, we know that The Grandmaster, Joshua Clottey’s monicker, is excellent in his craft and has been in many ring wars with notable opponents in his resume albeit he has lost the most important ones in close fashion.

For me and close to 92 million other Filipinos (NSO 2009 projection) plus 11 million more working and living in other countries throw our full support behind the Philippine National Fist.

This brings me now to answer Dr. Bimpong’s first question.  I answered “Yes some people say that I do but I also added that I am ahead of him by one bath”.   Didn’t quite get it?  Let me explain.  You see in the Philippines there is a popular statement that you are handsomer or prettier than another person by the number of baths that you have taken ahead of that other person.  If I say that I am ahead of you by 100 baths then it probably means that your mother is the only one who loves you.

1 comment: